Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Tokyo

Tuesday started out with a dash down to Logger’s office to collect some swag and thereby reduce the load for Log to Lug to Yokohama.  Picked up some of the equipment required to partake in the cat herding expected to be necessary for the Privateers.  That done and back to the house, finished packing and hailed an Uber to YYC in plenty of time for a relaxing b’fast - likely the last of those for a while.  AC Flight 009 (767) direct to Tokyo was smooth and comfortable, all in all a pleasant experience, and only +/- 11 hours long! Oddly unable to sleep, but we got to Tokyo on time.  Customs was a bit chaotic and slow, so our tour greeter was a bit nervous when we ambled through the exit.  He got really nervous when I said I needed to get my WiFiNinja device before we could board the bus to the hotel.  He was accommodating and led us to the kiosk where I picked up the equipment.  While I was signing papers, he was dispersing the various vouchers and tickets and explaining the protocol to Myles.  I wrapped up my business in time to note that the package he was providing did not include the last transfer back to the Airport on October 28.  Will have to get that sorted ASAP.  Our greeter realized that we would not be able to make the bus (limousine??) he had us ticketed on, so he asked us to sit tight while he went off to get some replacement tickets.  Early signs of the efficiency expected in Japan, everything should run on time - or else!  Eventually we hopped on a bus that took us the the Metropolitan Tokyo Ikebukuro Hotel.  The transfer took all of two hours from Narita to downtown by which time, Myles was getting tired, hungry and thirsty - guess I’ll have to learn how to say that in Japanese!  (Tsukareta, Onaka ga suita, Nodo ga kawaita) The freeways are rather incredible stacked on top of one another.  The earthquake resistance design must be quite something to behold (if you’re a Civil Engg).  Once to the Hotel, we got checked in to our “Standard” hotel.  Twin beds with a cot for Myles.  
Not spacious, but quite satisfactory for sleeping.  Nice kimonos for all!  Have to mention the 21st Century toilets with heated seats, front and back bidets, high tech computerized flush, etc. We headed out to find something to eat (airplane food leaves much to be desired) and wandered over to the Ikebukuro Station and shopping mall.  15 levels above ground for shopping and eating. Rail subway on several levels below that.  Found a noodle shop and had a Kirin and wrapped it up.  In an unusual fashion, I’m posting at night as we need to be up and at em early tomorrow for our tour to Mt. Fuji leaving at 07:40 h.  It is 22:00 h here in Tokyo on Wednesday, so 07:00 h in Calgary.  25 hours mostly awake, hope I’ll be able to sleep now.

No comments:

Post a Comment