After the big day in Marseille, the tourists weren’t off to an overly active start. It seemed a good day to get some laundry dealt with so after a couple of missteps with the “French Laundry” (translation issues), we were able to use the machines on the Barge. At around noon, I embarked on a walk into Vieux Lyon with Myles and Ashton where I managed to get some cash and groceries. Walked back to the Barge spent the rest of the afternoon helping out with chores while the kids were in town on separate adventures further exploring this lovely French city - and it is lovely. Alex has remarked a number of times how safe and clean the community is. We’ve really enjoyed our time here. I let the tourists know that my intent was to get in front of a TV for the two remaining quarter finals. So a plan was hatched for me to Uber down to the Elephant and Castle (which worked - Yeah) for the England v Fiji test and link up at our dinner reservation thereafter as the restaurant was conveniently located only a few hundred meters away. I managed to get a seat and the match was very entertaining, especially the anti-english cheers for Fiji when they drew level late in the second half. England managed to escape with a win (30-24) after a less than inspiring performance.
I briskly walked over to Brasserie Bouillon Baratte with a couple of wrong turns and found the touring party had established a position. Had a really great meal (my favourite so far) and enjoyed some wine until it was time for Matthew and I to head back to the pub for Match #2 - France v South Africa. We set up camp outside in front of a window and surrounded by boisterous French fans in full voice.
An absolute ripper of a match with the Boks prevailing at the death under a French onslaught 29-28. Conversion charge down by Chelsin Kolbe proved to be decisive. Reconnected with the rest of the touring party at Le Dome with an assist from the Maître ‘D for a nightcap before heading back to the Barge to wrap up a great rugby day in Lyon.



No comments:
Post a Comment